See our Presidential Event video blow:
Al-Shifa Trust, 25 years of service
Story of Al-Shifa Trust- started with a vision of the late Lt. Gen Jahandad Khan (May Allah bless his soul)
in 1985, the first hospital was built in 1991 in Rawalpindi, the first modern eye hospital in the country and
now we have state of the art three more eye hospitals in Sukkar, Kohat and Muzaffarabad. We’re also in
the process of building a 5th specialized eye hospital, Al-Shifa Trust Children Eye Hospital in Rawalpindi,
the first of its kind in the country and region. At Al-Shifa 75 % of patients are treated free of charge, 20 %
subsidized and 5 % are private patients.
Some of the Highlights:
1. Al-Shifa introduced the concept of sub specialties.
2. Al-Shifa is pioneer in starting refractive surgery in Pakistan,
3. Amniotic Membrane Bank was the first one in Pakistan established at Al-Shifa.
4. The Cross Linking treatment has been introduced in Al-Shifa which is still awaiting FDA approval in US.
5. The interaction and affiliation of Al-Shifa with University of Illinois in Chicago, National Institute of
Ophthalmology in Paris. L V Prasad Eye Institute in India, Singapore National Eye Center in Singapore.
6. Second focus of the organization is the Community Ophthalmology through which Al-Shifa reach the
poor and needy in the far rural areas. Through eye camps it provides treatment on site and sometimes bring
patients to the hospital for further treatment. These camps also screen children in the schools, 1.7 million children are
screened in the schools so far.
7. The important contribution of Al-Shifa thru its institiute of Ophthalmology is that today out of 1100
ophthalmic paramedics in Pakistan Al-Shifa has trained 550 of them. Besides this Al-Shifa also offers post graduate
courses for physicians.-150 ophthalmologists already trained are serving in different parts of Pakistan. We are training
physicians from Afghanistan, Sudan, Mauritius, Somalia and Bangladesh in post fellowship programs.
8. At the request of Government of Mauritius, Al-Shifa doctors are annually visiting Mauritius to perform complicated
eye surgeries for the past 3 years.